With the temperatures starting to hover around the low 100s, we know that Phoenix Summer is upon us. If you haven’t already done so, you probably want to make sure your house is summer-ready by checking your air conditioner, swimming pool, and pest control.
Just this past week one of our agents noticed about 1/2 dozen scorpions in his house! Yuck! That prompted him to call a professional immediately. It also reminded me it's time for SUMMER TIME TIPS! For those of you who live in other parts of the country....it's really not that bad if we keep on top of these issues. Really!
Air Conditioner Maintenance
· Clean your filters. The most important thing a homeowner can do to maintain their air conditioner is clean and replace the filters frequently. For optimal efficiency and filtration, replace disposable filters at least once a month.
· Have a maintenance checkup. Before you require your unit to run full-tilt, have the system checked by a trained technician. Regular air conditioner maintenance will help ensure your unit is running safely and efficiently, potentially extending its life and saving you money.
· Every degree counts. Set your AC thermostat one or two degrees higher in the summer to save on energy costs. How much can this save you? For every degree increased, you can save two to three percent on your electric bill.
Pool Safety - Keep Your Kids Safe Around Water - We can NEVER say this enough.
· Check or install drain covers.
· Make sure your pump has an auto shut-off device.
· Check your pool gate latches.
· Check that your fence is in good repair.
· Remove any climbable objects near the pool fence and toys from the pool or deck.
· Get or renew your CPR certification, if necessary.
· Make sure pool chemicals and tools are safely stored and locked.
Summer Pest Control
Mosquitoes. The bites of these annoying little guys can itch for days, and they can carry illnesses like West Nile Virus. Mosquitoes breed in shallow water, like puddles and water-filled pots. Check for standing water around your property, and empty or minimize it, if possible.
House Flies. Plain and simple, flies follow the food. If you have a swamp cooler that requires you to keep your windows open, make sure your screens are in good repair (no holes!).
Ants. Just like flies, ants follow the food. Whether it’s outside on the grill or in your kitchen, if they have a path to food, they will follow it. Keep your floors and counters extra-clean during the summer, and put all food away.
Scorpions. If you live in or near the desert, you’re likely to see these critters as they head indoors in search of a water source. Scorpions, however, are immune to most pesticides. If you suspect you have scorpions in your house, call a professional exterminator. Eliminating their food source (other insects) can help.
Snakes. Snakes can be a real problem, and most pest control companies can do nothing to prevent them from entering your home. You can have pest control traps installed, but you should understand that capture is not guaranteed. If you have a snake in your house, call a wildlife company that deals with them.
General tips: Keep your kitchen clean. Put away food. Install solid window screens. And turn off outdoor lights when you don't need them.
Phoenix Summer Time Tips
Anna "Banana" Kruchten
Connect with me also on these sites!
Your Referrals & Testimonials are Appreciated!